Barley is our 11-year old Golden Retriever – he supervised the redevelopment work and was the longest-standing resident during that period. Now when we’re at the Cottage he sits outside the front door, in readiness for heading up onto the fells he spent many a day in April & May 2006 staring longingly at!
Barley has one simple request – other dogs live by the rules he lives by; for the benefit of all our guests, otherwise ‘it just wouldn’t be fair’.
- Barley doesn’t go upstairs – ever - here or at home in the Peaks
This keeps the bedrooms ‘allergy-free’ for other guests
- Barley doesn't go on any furniture - nor, if he were just a tad smaller,
would he go on our knee whilst we're sat on the sofa
- Barley is towelled off in the porch before coming into the house
- Barley doesn't 'water the plants' anywhere in the grounds of Gale Lodge
- Barley goes to the waterfall in Ambleside every day before breakfast
(take the road up behind Barclays Bank, or the cut-through off Low Gale /
Gale How Park that climbs away opposite the Cottage).
We hope, by welcoming responsible dogs and owners, we can keep everyone happy - including Barley - and continue to offer a high quality property that accommodates owners and their pets; but not so that anyone would know.