We became the proud owners of the cottage in March 2006, having spent several years planning and searching for a holiday home in our favourite part of Britain.
Following many holidays in the Lake District and much further afield we wanted to incorporate all our favourite features - those things that 'made the difference' - and create a welcoming, stylish and relaxing home from which to explore those wonderful fells.
Gale Lodge Cottage is now 'complete', having spent the last few years fine tuning it and adding those finishing touches, although we're sure there will forever be an element of 'work in progress'. We continue to welcome guests' ideas and thoughts on making the cottage somewhere you can't wait to return to. About the only thing we can't fix is the weather - it's great when it's great but so wet when it's wet!
In the first 3 months of owning Gale Lodge Cottage we managed the following:
- Completely stripped out, re-fitted and redecorated the master bedroom and its en-suite bathroom
- Created and installed the upstairs shower room, previously a wardrobe!
- Re-shaped, properly insulated, ventilated & decorated the 3rd bedroom
- Created and kitted out the boot room as somewhere to store all your wet, muddy walking gear - heaven
- Modernised the downstairs shower room
- Redecorated the kitchen, living room, conservatory and hall
- Made new curtains for the entire house and updated soft furnishings
- Extended central heating to the entire house
Top of our To Do list for '07 & '08 was to improve your outdoor living space with troughs, pots and stylish garden furniture. And then it was on to the conservatory, making it cooler in the summer and even warmer in the winter. More recently we've renewed all the beds - adding comfort and style - put down several new floors, replaced old, single-glazed windows and completely renewed the kitchen. One last job to finish the patio area has been a gate to keep your little ones and 4-legged friends safe.
All of this was with the fantastic help, support and guidance, often late into the night, of Betty, Chris, Dave and Jim - our parents. We'd also like to offer a big thank you to Dennis, Eric, Vicky, Sonja & Paul . None of this would have been possible, however, without the legend that is Jim Porter. Thanks Dad!
We hope that you will enjoy Gale Lodge Cottage and, ultimately, will be keen to come back and to recommend it to friends. That's our goal - we hope that's what we've done.